Whether you’re an athlete or casual gym-goer, you probably own quite a bit of workout gear.
From resistance bands and dumbbells to sneakers and heart rate monitors, there’s an overwhelming number of products available to help you achieve your fitness goals.
However, if you’re regularly dealing with muscle soreness, you may want to consider adding a massage gun to your fitness collection.
Also known as percussive therapy devices, massage guns are handheld machines that use short, rapid bursts of pressure to increase blood flow to a targeted area to ease sore muscles (
Theragun is one of the most popular massage gun brands due to its line of high powered and easy-to-use devices.
This article provides a comprehensive overview of Theragun’s massage guns and whether they’re worth purchasing.
Therabody is a wellness brand that’s best known for its Theragun line of massage guns, which deliver a type of therapy known as percussive or vibration therapy.
Percussive therapy is a form of soft tissue manipulation that’s designed to reduce muscle soreness and increase your range of motion by providing rapid bursts of pressure deep into the muscle tissue (
However, it’s important to note that the term “vibration therapy” is something of a misnomer, as most percussive therapy devices actually use a hammering or thumping motion to massage the area rather than vibrations.
Theragun currently offers four massage gun models, including:
- the PRO
- the Elite
- the Prime
- the Mini
While they have subtle differences, all of Theragun’s devices are handheld and feature quiet, powerful motors.
What’s more, the company claims that its products can reach deeper into muscles compared with similar products on the market.
Except for the Mini, the devices can be used with the Therabody app, which allows you to adjust the speed and force of your massage, includes a library of workout routines, and connects to Apple Health and Google Fit to provide personalized exercise recommendations.
Theragun currently offers four percussive therapy devices, including the PRO, Elite, Prime, and Mini. The table below highlights the key specs and features of each.
Theregun devices are quite pricey — well above the cost of a 60-minute massage. However, when you consider how often you’ll use your massage gun, the cost may seem more reasonable.
Here are the current list prices for each device:
- PRO: $599
- Elite: $399
- Prime: $299
- Mini: $199
Additionally, for those who qualify, Theragun offers 0% financing to make the devices more affordable.
The company also provides a 1-year warranty on the Elite, Prime, and Mini, and a 2-year warranty on the PRO.
If you’re unhappy with your purchase for any reason, you can also return your massage gun within the first 30 days for a full refund.
Theragun percussive therapy devices stand out from others on the market for their quality, power, and long battery life.
Plus, except for the Mini, all of the devices are Bluetooth-enabled, offer a customizable speed range between 1,750–2,400 PPM, and are designed to be easy and comfortable to handle.
The main downside of Theragun is the price. Especially as there are less expensive options on the market, it’s worth shopping around to find a massage gun that best fits your needs and budget.
Also, keep in mind that while massage guns are beloved by many, there’s currently a lack of research on the effectiveness of these devices for improving range of motion and aiding muscle recovery (
Finally, whether you purchase a Theragun or another brand, it’s best to talk with your healthcare provider before using a percussive therapy device.
Which Theragun product should you buy?
There are several factors to consider when choosing which Theragun device to purchase, including:
- Durability. If you’re looking for a heavy duty product, it’s hard to beat the Theragun PRO. However, all of the devices are high quality and made to be reliable.
- Size and portability. While the Mini is specifically designed for traveling, all of Theragun’s devices are relatively compact and come with convenient carrying cases.
- Power. Two main factors contribute to a device’s power and comfort: how fast the head oscillates and the depth at which it moves. The Theragun PRO is the most powerful, as it offers speeds up to 2,400 PPM and provides up to 60 pounds (27.3 kg) of stall force, which allows for a stronger deep tissue massage.
- Battery life. The Theragun PRO offers the best battery life, with a total of 5 hours. However, the other devices still provide 2–2.5 hours of charge, which is likely plenty for most users.
- Number of attachments. The Theragun PRO, Elite, and Prime come with multiple massage head attachments, which are designed to better target specific muscles. However, the Mini is only equipped with the standard ball. Before purchasing a device, consider which heads you’ll actually use.
- Noise level. If the noise level is an important consideration, you’ll want to go with the Elite since it has the quietest motor.
- Price. Theragun’s massage guns range in price from $199–599, with the PRO being the most expensive.
While the Theragun PRO is ideal for serious athletes looking for a high intensity massage gun that’s loaded with special features, its high price tag may not be worth the investment for casual gym-goers or recreational exercisers.
Instead, the Elite and Prime are generally better options because they provide many of the same benefits as the PRO but at a more affordable price.
Theragun offers high quality devices that are easy to use and provide a powerful massage.
However, Theragun percussive therapy devices are expensive, and many not be worth the cost for infrequent users.
Still, with ergonomic handles, multiple massage head attachments, customizable speed ranges, and long-lasting batteries, it’s hard to compete with the overall value that Theragun’s massage guns provide.
Interested in trying Theragun? We can help!
Head to the website to explore the multitude of product offerings.